History

FPC HISTORY

In 1609, a small group of dissenters, seeking to practice their religion in their own way, founded a New World.  In 1787, a small group of dissenters seeking to guarantee religious freedom for all, among other God given rights, founded a new nation.  In 1832, a small group of dissenters, seeking to practice their religion in their own way, founded a new congregation… eventually to be known as the First Presbyterian Church of Hackensack, New Jersey.

By 1922 the church was outgrowing its building on Main Street and so property was purchased on the corner of Union and Passaic Streets for the building of a new, much larger church.  The cornerstone was laid in 1929 and the new building, our home today, was dedicated on April 6th 1930.  The cost of that building was $250,000.  It is a testament, once again, to the dedication of those who have gone before us, for just months after the laying of that cornerstone, the country’s economy came to halt with the fall of the stock market and the beginning of a decade long depression.

Today, 187 years later – the church that was built on faith, hope and love by our ancestors continues to grow and thrive on the faith, hope and love of its current members. Today, our church is a much more diverse.  We have members from Ghana, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Europe. And we are home not only to our own congregation, but also the Sojourner Korean Presbyterian Church, The Highway Holiness African American Church, the Volunteer Center of Bergen County, Twelve Step Groups and many other community organizations that call this church home.

The First Presbyterian Church of Hackensack is a member of the Presbytery of the Palisades and The Presbyterian Church USA



Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers:

%d bloggers like this: